Marker 182: Erastus B. Wolcott, M.D.

Erected 1972 by Charitable, Educational and Scientific Foundation
of the State Medical Society of Wisconsin
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
 43° 1.432′ N, 87° 58.532′ W

ERASTUS B. WOLCOTT, M.D.
(1804-1880)
Dr. Erastus B. Wolcott was an originator of the idea for a national soldier’s home in Milwaukee.

A spirited leader in medicine, business and government, he was state surgeon-general during the Civil War and an ardent advocate for what is now the Veterans Administration Hospital at Wood. The hospital was established in 1867 and Dr. Wolcott was appointed by Congress to the national governing board.

Dr. Wolcott was a founder of the State Medical Society in 1841 and the Medical Society of Milwaukee County in 1846. He made surgical history in 1861 as the first physician to remove a diseased kidney.

In 1869 he married Dr. Laura J. Ross, the first woman admitted to a medical society in Wisconsin and one of the first three American women physicians.
Marker is on southbound General Mitchell Boulevard, on the grounds of the Veterans Adminstration Hospital, at the intersection of Hines Boulevard and General Mitchell Boulevard, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53295.

See also, Brig. Gen. Erastus B. Wolcott Statue, also in Milwaukee County, at a different location.


No comments:

Post a Comment