44° 52.815′ N, 87° 20.17′ W
OF DOOR COUNTY
In 1858 Joseph Zettel, a native of Switzerland, acquired the farm directly south of this Station and established the first commercial orchard on the Door Peninsula. The high yields and quality of his fruit aroused the interest of Emmett S. Goff of the University of Wisconsin and Arthur L. Hatch, orchardist, and led to the discovery that the Peninsula is remarkably suited for fruit growing. In 1892 Goff and Hatch planted a small acreage to cherries, apples and plums. Commercial production of red cherries began in 1896. The University of Wisconsin established this research station in 1922 to help advance the fruit industry. Progressive growers, community leaders, and thousands of pickers from distant places have shared in bringing Door County national recognition as a fruit-producing area.
The marker is located at a highway turnout on northbound Egg Harbor Road / State Highway 42, about a half-mile north of its intersection with State Highway 42 / State Highway 57, near the Peninsular Agricultural Research Station, 4312 State Highway 21, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin 54235.
Headed southbound on Egg Harbor Road / State Highway 42
Marker 98 is next to the fire marker
for Peninsular Agricultural Research Station.