Marker 283: Grand Army Home

Photographed March 27, 2015
Erected 1988 by Wisconsin Historical Society
King, Waupaca County, Wisconsin
44.337669,-89.145479

GRAND ARMY HOME
The Grand Army Home was established in 1887 by the Wisconsin Department of the Grand Army of the Republic, a nationwide organization of Union veterans of the Civil War (1861-1865). The Home provided care for indigent veterans and their wives in a pleasant community setting. The city of Waupaca donated seventy-eight acres along scenic Rainbow Lake to the veterans, and the local branch of the Women's Relief Corps (an auxiliary of the G.A.R.) constructed several cottages on the site. This was the first veterans' home in the nation to allow women to become members. Dr. Frederick A. Marden, a G.A.R. member from Milwaukee, originated the concept of a co-educational veterans' retirement community. He also devised the Home's cottage plan. Marden believed that elderly soldiers and their wives were owed a debt of gratitude for their service to the imperiled Union and that they would find contentment in the modest cottages and tree-shaded lanes at King.
The marker is located on the grounds of the Wisconsin Veterans Home at King, on Wright Avenue, between Bell Avenue and Marden Avenue, Waupaca, Wisconsin 54981.

The National Woman's Relief Corps, Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic, Inc., is a patriotic organization whose express purpose is to perpetuate the memory of the Grand Army of the Republic, as we are their auxiliary organized at their request on July 25 and 26, 1883 in Denver, Colorado, and incorporated by Public Act of the 87th Congress on September 7, 1962 [Public Law 87-650].

Wisconsin Veterans Museum: Wisconsin Grand Army of the Republic

Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War: The Grand Army of the Republic in Wisconsin

Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War: Brief History of the Grand Army of the Republic

Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War: National Headquarters

Wikipedia: Grand Army of the Republic

These markers are also located on the grounds of the Wisconsin Veterans Home at King:




 The marker is near Rainbow Lake (visible in the background behind the fence).


 The back side of the marker.

 The entrance to the Soldiers' Home is visible to the far right.

Originally photographed October 20, 2012


 The marker is on the grounds of the Wisconsin Veterans Home at King.

No comments:

Post a Comment