Calumet Harbor / Malone, Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
COLUMBIA PARK TOWER
The tower, originally built as a water tower for the Fond du Lac Table Factory, was moved to Calumet Harbor in 1936 and was erected by the federally funded Works Progress Administration in Columbia Park as an observational tower and navigational aid.Slow deterioration took its toll, and in the early 1980s the wooden staircase and observation decks were removed; the structural steel frame was left standing.The tower was restored in 1992 through the joint effort of the Columbia Park Tower Fund, Inc. (administered by a private committee) and Fond du Lac County. Receiving donations for individual stairs, landings, and observation decks, the committee raised more than $53,000; the county contributed $45,000.The restored tower was dedicated on August 2, 1992. It affords a panoramic view of Lake Winnebago, the Niagara Escarpment (the Ledge), and the Fond du Lac area. It continues to serve as an important navigational aid to all using Lake Winnebago.
TOWER FUND COMMITTEE
(see photo above for committee officers and directors)
The marker is located on the east bank of Lake Winnebago in Columbia Park in front of the Calumet Harbor Lighthouse, at the end of County Road W, Calumet Harbor / Malone, Wisconsin 53049.
See also, Calumet Harbor Lighthouse, also at this location.