Marker 78: Mission of St. Francois Xavier

© Photographed August 7, 2012
Erected 1958 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Oconto, Oconto County, Wisconsin
44° 53.498′ N, 87° 53.047′ W

MISSION OF
ST. FRANCOIS XAVIER
On December 2, 1669, the Eve of St. Francis, Father Claude Allouez arrived at Oconto, then a village of about 600 Indians. Here Allouez founded the Mission of St. Francois Xavier, the first mission in north eastern Wisconsin. Six French fur traders happened to be here at that time. The primitive chapel made of bark and cedar boughs remained until 1671 when the mission moved to Red Banks on the East shore of Green Bay.
The marker is located alongside the Oconto River on southbound Brazeau Avenue / Smith Avenue / U.S. Business 41, south of its intersection with Main Street / Charles Street / Wisconsin Route 22, Oconto, Wisconsin 54153.

American Journeys Collection: Father Allouez's Journey to Lake Superior, 1665-1667 (PDF download)

Wikipedia: Claude-Jean Allouez

See also,  First Mission in Eastern Wisconsin, also at this location.


The Oconto River in the background.

View from Brazeau Avenue.

A crane who landed on the opposite shore.


The marker is located in Oconto, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment