Marker 525: St. Martin's Church

© Photographed April 22, 2017
Erected 2009 by Wisconsin Historical Society
New Holstein, Calumet County, Wisconsin
44° 0.493′ N, 88° 6.134′ W
Google Map

ST. MARTIN'S
CHURCH
In 1853, a group of German Catholics from Silesia, Prussia, emigrated to the Charlestown area. By 1866, the congregation had built a log church where they could assemble for services. They erected the current church in 1875, using limestone from a local quarry. Residents salvaged some of the logs from its predecessor to construct a school. From 1866 to 1899, visiting pastors services the parish.

In 1899, the Salvatorian Fathers of St. Nazianz took charge of the parish, continuing services until 2004. An ongoing shortage of priests led in part to the church’s closure the next year. Descendents of the first settlers purchased the property from the Diocese of Green Bay in order to preserve the historic church, and formed St. Martin Heritage Park, Inc. in 2006.
The marker is located at St. Martin's Church on the northeast corner of the intersection of County Road T and Church Road, at N3298 County Road T, Chilton, Wisconsin 53024.

The marker is in the middle of cornfields (as far as the eye can see) -- a lovely, serene location.















Some of the stained-glass windows,
as seen from outside the church.
 




The cemetery behind the church:




 Looking southeast from the church door . . .


Signage leading to the marker location.
The marker is located outside of New Holstein, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment