Marker 477: Lena Road Schoolhouse

© Photographed August 19, 2012 and August 15, 2017
Erected 2002 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Coleman, Marinette County, Wisconsin
 45° 2.323′ N, 88° 2.694′ W
LENA ROAD
SCHOOLHOUSE
Constructed in 1911, Lena Road School is one of the few remaining intact one-room schoolhouses in Marinette County. The school grounds feature the original privies and an early hand water pump. For over fifty years, local farming families sent their children to the Lena Road School where they were taught from grades 1 through 8. The school was consolidated in 1964 and the building was purchased by the Maedke Family who have restored the structure. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The marker and schoolhouse are located alongside southbound U.S. 141, north of its intersection with County Highway M, Coleman, Wisconsin 54112. You can't miss it!

National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin



 With the marker visible in the distance . . .



The schoolhouse and marker are located in Pound, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment