Marker 331: Wisconsin's German Settlers

© Photographed October 25, 2015
Erected 1996 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Mequon, Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
43° 13.43′ N, 87° 59.048′ W
Google Map

WISCONSIN'S
GERMAN SETTLERS
The oldest German settlements in Wisconsin are found in the Town of Mequon. In 1839 a small group of German immigrants from Saxony settled near the Milwaukee River. They were followed that same year by about twenty immigrant families from Pomerania searching for religious freedom. They established farmsteads in the west part of the town and founded the small community of “Freystatt” or “free place,” now known as Freistadt. The first Lutheran church in Wisconsin was built there in 1840. Over the next fifty years, thousands more German immigrants settled in the surrounding area.
The marker is located on southbound Cedarburg Road, between Division Street (to the north) and West Mequon Road / Wisconsin Highway 57 / 133 (to the south), at 11333 Cedarburg Road, Mequon, Wisconsin 53092.

Germans in Wisconsin, By Richard H. Zeitlin, The State Historical Society of Wisconsin

Ethnic Groups in Wisconsin: Historical Background: Germans in Wisconsin



 Looking south along Cedarburg Road on a beautiful fall afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment