Marker 309: Pabst Theater

© Photographed September 13, 2015
Erected 1992 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
43° 2.461′ N, 87° 54.619′ W
Google Map

PABST THEATER
Designed by Otto Strack and built by Milwaukee brewing magnate Captain Frederick Pabst, the Pabst Theater was constructed on the site of an earlier opera house destroyed by fire in 1895. The Pabst was completed in just six months and opened on November 9, 1895. One of the first all-electric theaters, the Pabst also included such innovations as air conditioning and fire-proof construction. The Pabst was home to one of the finest German theater companies in the United States and epitomized German culture in Wisconsin while also featuring this nation’s greatest artists on its stage.
The marker is affixed to the facade of the Pabst Theater on westbound East Wells Street / West Wells Street / U.S. Route 18, on the southwest corner of its intersection North Water Street, at 114 East Wells Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202.

NOTE: This intersection is crazy busy! Drive with caution!


See also these related sites at nearby locations:





The man behind the Pabst Theater:







Kitty-corner view of Pabst Theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment