Marker 243: Seils-Sterline Circus

© Photographed August 11, 2012
Erected 1978 by Seils-Sterling Tent No. 79, Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Sheboygan, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin
43° 45.046′ N, 87° 42.94′ W

SEILS-STERLING
CIRCUS
Near this site the Lindemann Brothers Circus gave its first performance in 1918. Well established by 1925, the Lindemanns adopted the name Seils-Sterling and their circus became one of the country's greatest motorized shows. In 1937 its 29-week itinerary included stops in 10 states, but the depression of the 1930's led to the end of Seils-Sterling's travels. The final performance was in Iron Mountain, Michigan, July 4, 1938.

In 1965 the Lindemann brothers -- Bill, Al and Pete -- were enshrined in the Circus Hall of Fame at Sarasota, Florida.
The marker is located in the parking lot behind the U.S. Post Office building on northbound North Water Street, on the southeast corner of its intersection with Center Avenue, Sheboygan, Wisconsin 53081.

This is a very cool downloadable PDF!



No comments:

Post a Comment