Marker 217: Coles Bashford House

© Photographed November 8, 2015
Erected in 1976 as a Bicentennial Project
of the Winnebago County Historical and Archeological Society
Oshkosh, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
N 44° 02.035 W 088° 34.423
Google Map

COLES BASHFORD HOUSE
This house was once the home of Coles Bashford who served from 1856 to 1858 as the first Republican Governor of Wisconsin.

It was built in 1855, a year after the Republican Party came into being as an avowed opponent to the further extension of slavery in the territories of the United States.

After 1875, the house was no longer in Bashford's possession.

In 1911, it became the property of Trustees authorized by the will of Elizabeth Batchelder Davis to provide and maintain perpetually a home for children needing shelter and care.

Now known as the Elizabeth Batchelder Davis Childrens' Home, the residence remains dedicated to its beneficent mission.
NOTE: This marker has been removed because the content became obsolete.
The marker has been replaced by this marker, erected April 2016:
Elizabeth Batchelder Davis Children's Home

The marker was next to the parking lot for the current Davis Child Care Center, 1260 North Westfield Street, at its intersection with Oshkosh Avenue / Wisconsin Highway 21, Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54902.

NOTE: The referenced house has been torn down, making this marker's content obsolete.
Wikipedia: Coles Bashford


Looking northeast along Wisconsin Highway 21.

 The Coles Bashford House before it was razed.

The new marker, erected April 2016:
Elizabeth Batchelder Davis Children's Home

No comments:

Post a Comment