© Photographed July 16, 2016
Erected 1975 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Oshkosh, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
43° 59.736′ N, 88° 33.342′ W
RACE PILOT INVENTOR
For 38 years America's premier air race pilot, S. J. Wittman served as manager of this airport. Since 1924 he has designed and built aircraft for which he has achieved national recognition.
One of his planes "Buster" is in the Smithsonian Institution. He designed the very popular Wittman Tailwind and V-Witt Homebuilt aircraft and a commercially-used landing gear.
Mr. Wittman has long been recognized as one of America's foremost air race pilots. For 50 years, 1924 to 1974, he participated in more closed course air races than any other person in the world. He has raced in every "National Air Race" from 1928 to 1971 and still holds 2 world records.
His dedication to aviation has focused worldwide attention upon Oshkosh and Winnebago County. This airport was named in his honor July 24, 1969.
The marker is located at the north edge of Wittman Regional Airport on eastbound West 20th Avenue, east of its intersection with McCurdy Street and west of its intersection with Delaware Street, Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54902.
Discovered in the Wisconsin Historical Society archives, September 19, 2014.
The long roadway leading to the marker
(visible beneath the tree to the right of center).
The marker is located in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.