Packers Heritage Trail Marker 8: Packers Office Building

Photographed November 27, 2014
Erected 2012 by Packers Heritage Trail Foundation
Dedicated to Don & Clare Zakowski and Family
Green Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin
44° 30.642′ N, 88° 1.102′ W

PACKERS OFFICE BUILDING
The Packers moved into the south side of this building, located at 349 S. Washington St., in 1949 and occupied it until a new administration building was completed next to what is now Lambeau Field in 1963.

Curly Lambeau was the first coach to have his office here in what was his final season with the Packers, and Vince Lombardi was the last. Lombardi worked here during his first four seasons as coach.

The Packers' ticket office occupied the front part of the first floor while the coaches worked at different times in either the basement or on the second floor. When Lombardi took charge in 1959, he remodeled the interior and moved into an office in the back of the first floor.

The mood in the building also changed drastically. This was where quarterback Bart Starr experienced his famous epiphany soon after meeting Lombardi for the first time. During a break in a meeting, he rushed to a pay phone and called his wife Cherry in Alabama and told her, "Honey, were going to begin to win."

Constructed in 1914, the building was home to the Marvin Store through the 1930s. The Marvin Store sold groceries and general merchandise.
The marker is located on westbound Crooks Street, at its intersection with South Washington Street, at 321 South Washington Street, Green Bay, Wisconsin 54301.

NOTE: The marker is on the Crooks Street-side of the building.

See also, Brown County: Packers Heritage Trail and Packers Heritage Trail Map, for a complete list of markers and their locations.

The official website of the World Champion Packers




No comments:

Post a Comment