Marker 156: Hazelwood

Erected 1966 by Wisconsin State Society,
Daughters of the American Colonists
Green Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin
44° 30.046′ N, 88° 1.214′ W

HAZELWOOD
On this site Morgan L. Martin (1805-87) built this home in 1837, after his marriage to Elizabeth Smith of Plattsburgh, N.Y. It was a center of social, literary and political accomplishment for nearly a century. Coming here in 1827 as a young attorney, he began to lay the foundation for Statehood. A member of the Michigan Territorial Council 1831-35, he returned in 1838-44 to serve on the Wisconsin Territorial Council. From 1845-47 he represented the Territory in Congress, at which time he introduced the bill "to enable the people of Wisconsin Territory to form a constitution and state government, and for the admission of such state into the Union." The constitution submitted by the Convention of 1846 was rejected and Martin, elected president of a second Convention in 1847, did much of the preliminary revision here at Hazelwood. It was accepted by vote of the people and President Polk approved the Act of Admission on May 29, 1848.
The marker is located on the Fox River Trail behind Historic Hazelwood. Historic Hazelwood is located on southbound Monroe Avenue, between Eiza Street (to the north) and  Emilie Street (to the south), at 1008 South Monroe Avenue, Green Bay, Wisconsin 54301.

Two fabulous articles on visiting Hazelwood:
Historic Hazelwood is home to the Brown County Historical Society.

The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin: Brown County.

A series of markers regarding Historic Hazelwood are at or near this location:


 Summer views of Hazelwood from the marker location on the Fox River.


 Me at the marker, May 8, 2014.

The marker is in the back of the property, on the Fox River Trail.
Photo looking up at the house from the Fox River Trail.


 The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


 Looking east at the Fox River.

 The river side facade.
In the days the Martin's occupied the house, this was the front of the house,
as goods and guests arrived from the Fox River.

The Monroe Avenue facade and current-day entrance.

 Photographed Thanksgiving Morning 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment